2016-2017 Hurford Youth Fellowship Application. Apply Now!
The Hurford Youth Fellowship Program, facilitated by the World Youth Movement for Democracy, seeks emerging democratic leaders from around the world committed to building their leadership skills, enhancing their organizational talents, and harnessing their potential. In this program, three young activists spend four months per year at the World Movement for Democracy Secretariat in Washington D.C., during which time they contribute to the advancement of the World Youth Movement for Democracy.
In consultation with the World Movement for Democracy Secretariat and World Youth Movement Leadership Board, Hurford Youth Fellows engage in strategic meetings, conduct research, organize and lead presentations, and run online discussions and information-sharing sessions on issues confronting democracy. The results of the Fellows’ projects will be compiled, presented, and shared globally in a creative manner
APPLICATION DEADLINE: All application materials must be submitted by 18 May 2016
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION: Applicants are asked to submit the following:
- Applicant Form;
- Two Letters of Recommendation
All application materials should be uploaded to the online application
PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS: The Applicant Form has four sections: (1) Personal Information; (2) Project Proposal; (3) Curriculum Vitae/Résumé; and (4) Two Letters of Recommendation. Each applicant must complete the entire FORM. Please note that incomplete application forms will not be reviewed.
Project Proposal: Your project proposal is the most important part of your fellowship application. It should be clear, concise, and comprehensible to individuals outside your own field or concentration. Your proposal, in no more than 1200 words, should describe your proposed plan for organizing your fellowship activities. In your proposal, please ensure that you respond to the following specific questions:
- What is your proposed theme for your fellowship project?
- What are three specific online discussion topics or questions under your theme?
- How would you conduct research and develop information materials that could be used for broader dissemination and/or online discussions?
- How would you contribute to the further development of the World Youth Movement for Democracy?
- How would you plan to benefit from your time in Washington for your professional development as well as your organization’s work?
Strong proposals will exhibit the following characteristics:
- A clear focus & rationale, with practical relevance for strengthening the participation of youth in democracies.
- The outline of a well-defined theme, with tangible benefits to colleagues & counterparts in your field.
Curriculum Vitae/Résumé: Please prepare a curriculum vitae or résumé and attach it as a separate document.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR REFEREES
Thank you for agreeing to write a letter of recommendation for an applicant to the Hurford Youth Fellows Program at the National Endowment for Democracy (NED). Your frank appraisal of the applicant and his or her fellowship project proposal will greatly help us in our selection process. For more information on the Hurford Youth Fellows Program, please go to www.wymdonline.org
Letter of Recommendation Guidelines
We would greatly appreciate your candid comments on the following:
- The length of time and context in which you have known the applicant
- Your opinion of his or her background, qualifications, accomplishments, and experiences
- Your appraisal of the proposed project and the applicant’s ability to complete it on time
- Your views on the suitability of the applicant and his/her project to the Hurford Youth Fellows Program
- Any other information you feel is important to share concerning the candidate
Once the applicant identifies their referees and provides their email addresses within the application portal, an automated email will be sent to the referee’s email address. The automated email will give the referees login credentials to access the application portal in order to upload the letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation must be submitted in English or accompanied by an English translation. Please format your letter as a MS Word Document (.doc) or Adobe PDF (.pdf). Please note that letters of recommendation should not be shared with applicants.
Click Here to download the information handbook and application guidelines.
Click Here to access the online application.
You MUST complete steps 1-5 of the application.
Deadline: The deadline to submit your letter of recommendation is 18 May 2016.
For questions or further information, please contact:
World Movement for Democracy Secretariat
National Endowment for Democracy 1025 F Street, N.W., Suite 800
Washington, DC 20004
Website : www.wymdonline.org